Sunday, October 11, 2009

What happened to in-person interviews?

Okay, so I understand that most businesses use online questionnaires to prevent wasting time interviewing some wack-job or someone with a personality type that is deemed "undesirable" for any number of reasons. But I can't help but feel that in many ways, it is not only unnecessary but possibly even harmful to the hiring process for both sides.

Maybe it's just me, but some of the questions in these questionnaire are really hard to make heads or tails of. Here's an example:

Most people who complain about their work have a good reason.
Strongly Agree
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

What on earth could possibly the CORRECT answer for this question?

Here's another one:

When workers are not successful, it is usually their company’s fault.
Strongly Agree Agree Neutral
Disagree Strongly Disagree

How about this one?

You are at a restaurant. When they bring out your order it is correct, but also includes extra food that you did not order. The extra food is something that looks delicious, and you really want it. What would you be MOST likely to do?


Be thankful and begin eating. It is not my fault they brought me extra food.
Eat all of the food that they bring. If I tell them they brought extra food, they are just going to throw it away anyway.
Take a few bites of the extra food to see what it tastes like. Then I tell them that they brought me extra food.
Tell them that they brought me extra food, and I ask them to take it away.
Call over the manager to report a problem with my order.

Then there are questions like the one below, which anyone with half a brain could lie about.

My coworkers say that I can be counted on to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Definitely True
Somewhat True
I Don't Know
Somewhat False
Definitely False



and then another question asked me how I liked to pay my bills...via text message, phone, in person, on the web, or by mail.

So are these questionnaires really effective? Is it a test of a person's ability to answer questions without definitive answers and their ability to lie effectively on a questionnaire? Or would it be more productive to simply have people come in for an in person interview from the start?

No comments: